Catheter for the non-surgical transfer of embryos in swine
2.Transfer of embryos (ET) is a technique already used for several decades. In swine, ET has not been
used on field level up to now because of the difficulties to perform a non-surgical embryo transfer.
Among the practical applications of ET are:
3.• Fast introduction of new genetic lines to breeding stocks without health risk
• Adaptation of piglets born after ET to the sanitary level of the farm
• Cleaning of genetic lines from certain diseases
4.In swine, the non-surgical ET is going to be an essential tool for the practical application of new
biotechnologies, like embryo sexing or in vitro production (IVP), etc.
5.MINITÜB, a leader in animal reproduction technology, has developed together with scientists of the
University of Murcia (Spain) a new concept of catheter, the DeepBlue® ET (Fig 1), designed specially
for ET in swine.
• Disposable catheter SafeBlue® with lubricated tip
• Flexible deep intra-uterine (DIU) catheter, 180 cm length, 4 mm external diameter and 0.7 mm internal diameter
• Individually packaged and sterilized
• DeepBlue® ET is a simple, effective and practical system for non-surgical embryo transfer in pigs.
• DeepBlue® ET allows transferring the embryos without sedation or disturbing the sow.
• The design allows reaching the middle or the anterior third of the uterine horns for embryo deposition.
• The SafeBlue® catheter remains sterile until the moment of ET.
8.The lubricated tip of the SafeBlue® catheter eliminates unnecessary manipulation of the catheter
prior to its introduction.• The SafeBlue® system protects the tip of the catheter during its canalization through the outer genital area.